Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A much needed cure for SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder)

As a native Seattlite, I have never been too bothered by the winter weather.  It's grey and rainy, annoying no doubt but it's what I'm used to.  Even trudging a half hour each way to class in college in something like 81 straight days of rain (a record)...up hill both ways of course...didn't get to me.  But, second year of residency has (this is Paula by the way).  I leave home in the dark, get home in the dark and never get to see out a window during daylight.  My outside time consists of walking to the car in the dark and rain/scraping ice of the car in the dark.  This combination of long hours, lack of sleep and constantly dealing with very sad situations has been a struggle for me this year and, for the first time, the grey and gloom has really tipped the scales.  I'm now a firm believer in SAD and, more importantly, a firm believer in the power of sun, sleep and relaxation. 

Per and I got to head to Cabo for a week (thanks so very much to my parents for sharing their timeshare).  For those that followed our blog while we were in Europe, you know that my ideal vacation does not involve sitting in one place doing nothing.  I like to explore, adventure and get out to see and do everything.  Not so on this trip!! 

Our day: wake up whenever, lay by the pool til whenever, wander the beach and into town til whenever, eat some food, lay by the pool some more, eat some more food, go to bed (AMAZING)!

We did do a few things.  We did a sunset dinner cruise...all you can drink.  A snorkel adventure on a random pirate ship....again, all you can drink.  Whale watching, a trip out to Lover's/Divorce Beach which is by the famous Cabo arch.  While there we saw some dumb tourists nearly drown because they wanted to swim on the Pacific Ocean side in the waves which were 20 plus feet...bad idea (as indicated by the numerous signs that say DANGER! NO SWIMMING) but luckily they were ok thanks to some locals.  We also took a 2 hour trip to Cabo Pulmo which is in a marine reserve for more snorkeling with fishies, sea lions and a school of thousands of skipjacks...craziness.  We saw more whales there too!

It's the only vacation I've ever taken where I don't feel like I need a vacation from my vacation.  I'm back at work now and feeling so much better!!  I'm sure my patients and coworkers appreciate it (I image Per appreciates it too!) 

Here are a few picts:

1 comments:

Mike Fiechtner April 13, 2011 at 9:48 AM  

Looks like you guys had a great time in Cabo! Glad that you were re-energized when you got home! And just think....spring is here!! Hope you have some time to see the beautiful sunny daylight!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP