Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Rambling Update

We're back from our trip now and are finding ourselves being absorbed back into the routines we had left behind. Work and responsibilities will do that, I guess. We still don't have our photos loaded to a website for your viewing pleasure, but that will probably happen over the coming weekend. Fortunately, my computer crashed the day after we returned and I've been enjoying recreating my virtual life over the past 4 months. I guess I'm pretty lucky that we had backed up most of our stuff recently though.

On another note, I thought I'd pass this note of clarification forwarded to me by our friend Lou who was the lucky entertainer and tour guide while we were in Scotland visiting her. You may remember from the Rambler's Side Note in our last post that she had mentioned that ramblers (e.g., people who like to walk everywhere...especially upon really old rambling tracks) could essentially walk wherever they wanted and even pitch their tent where ever they wanted. As it turns out, this isn't completely true and we now have more detail thanks to Lou's legal background research. This could only mean 1 thing if she has time to do this legal research, swine flu hasn't reached epidemic status in Scotland yet and the public health department isn't too busy. However, without further ado, here's the details that Lou sent over on rambling:

Fact 1. It's legislated! Walkways are regulated by the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000.

Fact 2. The public have traditionally been allowed unhindered access to open countryside. The Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 formalized and extended this right, by creating a general presumption of access to all land. Take that stinkin' farmers! Please note, don't tell my dad I just said that. I am, after all, a farmer's daughter.

Fact 3. I was right! There is a Ramblers Association in the UK, but they prefer to just be called The Ramblers....friendly folk, I'm sure!

Fact 4. There have been land owner vs rambler court cases of late, I'm guessing the ramblers walked to the court room (baboom, ching!) Ann Gloag won a court case in 2007 that meant ramblers couldn't camp on her castle grounds - so I guess this means JK (the Harry Potter author) is safe from Paula pitching a tent too!

So, there you have it. Sounds like rambling is legal in the countryside and not necessarily anywhere within the City of Edinburgh. Also, doesn't sound like we can pitch our tent on J.K. Rowling's backyard without having Dobby the House Elf coming out and kicking our ass.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP